Rockies’ Brendan Rodgers intent on proving he’s “ready and deserving” for call-up
The Isotopes placed infielder Brendan Rodgers on the disabled list on Tuesday with a tweaked left hamstring, but the Rockies’ top prospect says the injury is minor and that he’ll be back in the lineup for Triple-A Albuquerque soon.
“It’s nothing serious … I’ll only be out three or four days,” Rodgers said in a phone interview. “I didn’t do it on one certain play, it was over time, but it got aggravated about 10 days ago.”
Since being promoted to the Isotopes from Double-A Hartford on July 31, the 22-year-old is hitting .226 with two RBIs in eight games. Colorado’s top pick in the 2015 draft believes he’s still on the path toward his stated spring training goal of making his big-league debut by the end of the season, most likely during September when rosters can be expanded.
“I’ve just got to keep the confidence high — this little tweak was the first adversity all year that I’ve had, and I’m trying to not let it affect me and it hasn’t,” said Rodgers, who’s disabled list status is retroactive to last Sunday. “I’m busting my butt to get back on the field and to finish the season strong. We’ll go from there — it’s not really my call, but I’m going to do all I can to show that I’m ready and deserving.”
In the meantime, Rodgers is embracing the Triple-A grind, using his evolving skills as a Fortnite player to unwind after games (“that settles me down and I fall right asleep”) while also taking advantage of the clubhouse presence of recently signed veteran outfielder Matt Holliday (“it’s really cool to pick his brain”).
- Packers’ Aaron Rodgers returns after knee injury – The Denver Post
- Colorado Rockies’ top minor league prospects to watch heading into 2019
- Tyler Anderson, Antonio Senzetala struggling; Rockies face rotation dilemma
- Jon Gray set to be recalled from Triple-A and will start Saturday; Antonio Senzatela, who was scheduled to start tonight, headed to DL
- Rockies’ Trevor Story scratched with bruised foot; Mike Dunn goes on DL